1 a rester who is sleeping [syn: slumberer]
2 a spy or saboteur or terrorist planted in an enemy country who lives there as a law-abiding citizen until activated by a prearranged signal
3 an unexpected achiever of success; "the winner was a true sleeper--no one expected him to get it"
4 one of the cross braces that support the rails on a railway track; "the British call a railroad tie a sleeper" [syn: tie, railroad tie, crosstie]
6 a piece of furniture that can be opened up into a bed
7 tropical fish that resembles a goby and rests quietly on the bottom in shallow water [syn: sleeper goby]
8 an unexpected hit; "that movie was the sleeper of the summer"
- Rhymes: -iːpə(r)
- Someone who sleeps.
- A saboteur or terrorist who lives unobtrusively in a community until activated by a prearranged signal; may be part of a sleeper cell.
- A railroad sleeping car.
- rail transport UK A horizontal wooden or concrete structural member that supports and ties together railway lines.
- Something that achieves unexpected success after an interval of time.
- A goby-like bottom-feeding freshwater fish of the family Odontobutidae. Also "sleeper goby."
- A type of pajama for
a person, especially a child, that covers its whole body, including
- Aaron, Devin, Ryan H., Cody, Ryan O., Wade, Lisa and Laura looked so comfy in their sleepers.
- A structural beam in a floor running perpendicular to both the joists beneath and floorboards above.
- An automobile which, not too quick out of the factory has been internally modified to wretched excess, while retaining a mostly stock appearance in order to fool opponents in a drag race.
- tie (US)
saboteur or terrorist
- German: Schläfer
horizontal wooden or concrete strucutural member supporting railway lines
A sleeper is a person who is sleeping. A daysleeper is a person who sleeps during the day, usually due to working a night shift.
"Sleeper" or "sleepers" may also refer to:
- Sleeper hit, a work, such as a movie ("sleeper film"), book, or product, that obtains unexpected recognition or success
Film & television
- Sleeper (Buffy episode), an episode in the seventh and final season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer
- Sleeper (film), a 1973 Woody Allen movie humorously based on The Sleeper Awakes by H. G. Wells.
- Sleeper (Torchwood) - an episode from Series 2 of the series Torchwood
- Sleepers (film), a 1996 film
- Sleepers (TV series), a British comedy-drama
Transportation and construction
- In rail transport, a name for the sleeping car with beds
- A railroad tie is also referred to as a "railway sleeper"
- In road transport, a truck with a sleeping compartment
- In construction and shipbuilding, a strong internal beam, especially railroad ties supporting rail tracks
- Sleeper (car), an automobile that has any manner of modified engine, drivetrain, suspension, brakes or other parts, with the goal of improving its original performance, while still maintaining the outward appearance of a stock, factory equipped vehicle; the British term for this is Q-car
- Sleeper is slang for a criminal hired to kill people (put them to sleep) or who has spent time in a correctional facility
- Sleeper agent, a secret agent left long inactive
- Sleeper cell, a similar group of agents
- Sleeper (fish), a perciform fish of the family Eleotridae
- In business, synonym for sleeping partner
- Blanket sleeper, a one-piece, footed sleeping garment
- A type of couch, also known as a fold-out couch or hide-a-bed
- An earring, originally one designed to be worn at night (ie while sleeping) to keep the hole in a pierced ear open. In the 1960s, small hoops were often used for this purpose, so this term is sometimes used to describe a small hoop earring. Other people use it to refer to the studs commonly used to pierce ears.
- A Yo-yo trick, "the sleeper"
- A sleeper is a low inland dike, obsoleted by a new dike closer to the shore
sleeper in Japanese: スリーパー
Amytal, Amytal pill, Demerol, Dolophine, H, Luminal, Luminal pill, M, Mickey Finn, Nembutal, Nembutal pill, Pullman, Pullman car, Seconal, Seconal pill, Tuinal, Tuinal pill, alcohol, amobarbital sodium, analgesic, anodyne, baggage car, barb, barbiturate, barbiturate pill, black stuff, blue, blue angel, blue devil, blue heaven, blue velvet, boxcar, caboose, calmative, car, carriage, chair car, chloral hydrate, coach, coal car, codeine, codeine cough syrup, covered waggon, day coach, depressant, depressor, diner, dinghy, dining car, dolly, downer, drawing room, flat, flatcar, gondola, goofball, hard stuff, heroin, hop, horse, hypnotic, junk, knockout drops, laudanum, lie-abed, liquor, local, lotus, luggage van, mail car, mail van, meperidine, methadone, morphia, morphine, narcotic, opiate, opium, pacifier, pain killer, palace car, paregoric, parlor car, passenger car, pen yan, phenobarbital, phenobarbital sodium, purple heart, quietener, railway car, rainbow, red, reefer, refrigerator car, roomette, scag, secobarbital sodium, sedative, shit, sleep-inducer, sleeping beauty, sleeping draught, sleeping pill, sleepwalker, sleepyhead, slugabed, smack, smoker, smoking car, sodium thiopental, somnambulist, somnifacient, somniloquist, soother, soothing syrup, soporific, stockcar, tank, tar, tender, tranquilizer, truck, turps, van, waggon, white stuff, yellow, yellow jacket